Storm Recovery Operations Continue in Winchester
The City of Winchester continues to conduct recovery operations from the severe thunderstorm that hit the area Friday evening. The City’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is operational with sufficient staff to coordinate recovery efforts and the City’s Public Services Division continues to perform mitigation and cleanup operations in areas where such can be performed safely.
The EOC is in continual contact with Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative (SVEC) relating to the power outages and where possible is supporting SVEC efforts. Information relating to the restoration of electric should be directed to SVEC’s customer support at 1-800-234-7832.
The Seventh Day Adventist Church located at 1508 Valley Avenue (540-665-0527) will be open today, Sunday, July 1st, as a “Cooling Center” until 7:00 pm. The “Cooling Center” at the Seventh Day Adventist Church is open to Winchester and Frederick County residents. There is also a “Cooling Center” opened at Lake Holiday for Lake Holiday residents.
Certain streets in the City continue to be closed and will not be re-opened by the City’s Public Services Division until SVEC has secured cables entwined in the debris. Some streets may remain closed for several days.
Streets remaining closed to traffic currently are:
- South Kent Street between Clifford and Cork
- South Cameron Street between Hart and Southwerk
- South Kent Street from Bond to Southwerk
- 400th Block of North Braddock Street -Â Â Â Parkway and Liecester to Pall Mall Street
- Wolfe Street and Braddock to Steward Street
- South Stewart Street from Cecil to Clifford
- Henry Avenue at #1712
- 500th block of North Cameron Street due to a low cable
- Area of #2436 of Massanutten Terrace due to a low cable
The City of Winchester is committed to continuing the cleanup process to return Winchester to pre-storm condition as soon as possible. Operations will be conducted in the safest and most efficient manner possible.
Citizen inquiries may be directed to the City’s EOC at (540) 545-4739.
Short URL: http://www.winchester.daily-monitor.com/?p=12819